Lean Six Sigma graduates receive Green Belts at Jan. 9 event
The DFW Hospital Council (DFWHC) Foundation hosted its annual Lean Six Sigma Green Belt graduation on January 9 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital in Frisco. Presented in coordination with 6SigmaTek, the event honored 31 students from eight Texas hospitals.
“We are so proud of these graduates and the great work they put into their projects,” said Patti Taylor, project coordinator and the director of quality and patient safety at the DFWHC Foundation. “Classes took place the week of August 21 and they had four busy months to prepare. The training provides introductions to process management and teamwork while enabling individuals to achieve objectives at their hospitals.”
For the past four years, the DFWHC Foundation has been hosting Lean Six Sigma classes to promote hospital patient safety. Sponsored by the Hospital Improvement Innovation Network (HIIN), the certification program provides insight into the techniques of improvement methodologies.
Final results for participating hospitals included:
• Baylor Scott & White Health – Decreased opportunities for defects from 6 to 2. Decreased percentage of inappropriate testing from 50 percent to 18 percent with an estimated savings of $17,260;
• Baylor Scott & White Medical Center Grapevine – Decreased Sepsis readmission from 15.7 percent to 9.7 percent while implementing Sepsis traveling road show, admission tip sheet and Sepsis patient education;
• HCA Houston Northwest Hospital – Readmission rate decreased 60 percent with a savings of $825,000;
• JPS Health Network – Decreased patient fall rate from 2.7 to 1.20 with no injuries;
• Medical City Arlington – Decreased Ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) from 145 incidents to 32;
• Medical City Las Colinas – Decreased Surgical Spine Infections (SSI) from 15 in 2017 to 4 in 2019;
• Medical City North Hills – Sepsis One compliance improved from 37 percent to 64 percent;
• Methodist Dallas Medical Center – Reduced Surgical Spine Infections (SSI) from 2.30 to 1.53 per 100 procedures.
Congratulations to all graduates! For information, please contact Patti at firstname.lastname@example.org.